Friday, September 12, 2008

Why I do what I do.

"It takes all your money, all your time, and all of your energy"

Ever since I was 3 years-old, cars have been the only thing to calm me down and get me excited at the same time. At this age, I was able to name the make, model, year, and on most cars I was able to identify the motor and trans. I'm not going to spill out my guts and wirte about my life story. But, I will write about my "love" story with cars.

Most people dont understand my obsession with cars, handling, and speed itself. It sets me free to be perfectly honest. Thats a cliche most people use when it comes to some of their desires but it's true. When I'm behind the wheel, it's like I'm on top of the world. No one else matters, and everyone is just watching. My car is my personality, when it's down and out, I'm down and out.

I build my car not to be the fastest, nor the best looking. I simply build it for my own sick and simple pleasure. Looking at it and saying "I did that" or "I fixed it myself" is more of an accomplishment to me than let's say my high school graduation. It's just the greatest feeling to me when it starts after twelve hours of work.

I'm still striving to build it to most of my likings. My latest project I am currently working to save up for and dreaming of is the coveted 5-speed swap. Driving the slushy automatic is like walking on crutches. Roll races suck due to the inability of the trans to downshift when I want it to, and no heel-toeing possible here. Let's just say I push it into the entrance of the corner because if I don't I wont be able to pull through the rest of the corner because I'm not putting the power down on the pavement efficiently enough to come out of the exit the fastest I can. I'm also going to tackle to restore and upgrade the suspension for autocross and time attack duty. Right now, the Galant is actually sitting on Tein SS-P coilovers in which does the job on the street and "spirited" driving, but it lacks in rear-end stability at times due to the ridiculously soft spring rate in the back. Still searching for that perfect spring rate to keep the rear from bouncing. Sway bars are next in line for the suspension department as I am searching for the best sway bar that will keep the car from rolling during tight corners.

Not even going to lie, when i'm done with this car, I will probably build another one. Because as I said before I've been in love with cars since I was three and ever since I got the Galant, I know I will have a couple of them. After the I4 is built, boosting 40 psi, killing bimmers on the track, and giving V8's a run for their money on the 1320, I'm going to build a 6G74 swapped 8G and do it V.I.P. style!

Done for now, I like this blogging thing, it's nice to be able to put my thoughts down without having to look like a nut talking to myself.

1 comment:

Kyzander said...

I really like that: "my own sick and simple pleasure"